Continuing Education Services at the iSchool at UW-Madison is seeking an instructor for Organization and Management of Collections. This is a 12-week asynchronous online continuing education course that is required for Wisconsin Public Library Director Certification. This instructor will begin teaching in the spring of 2019 – the course dates are somewhat flexible pending the instructor’s availability. The iSchool will provide training and technical support for the instructor. Familiarity with online teaching or learning is an asset, but not required. The iSchool uses Canvas as our learning management system.
- A currently certified or recently retired (within the past two years) library director/administrator in a Wisconsin public library, OR a person in a collection development/collection management/cataloging position in a Wisconsin public library;
- At minimum, must hold a Bachelor’s degree;
- Able to work on course development during the fall of 2018 and teach starting in January or February 2019;
- Well-versed in the required content topics covered in the course (outlined below)
- Experience with instruction is preferred, but not required.
Required Content for Organization and Management of Collections
- Planning and policies
- Collection assessment
- Collection standards
- Selection of various formats
- Materials for special populations
- Resource sharing agreements
- Methods of organization
- MARC format
- Understanding catalog records
- Shared catalogs
- Role of technology and networking in a shared environment
- Processing and repair
Please click here for the course description for last spring’s offering of Organization and Management of Collections.
To apply, please email Meredith Lowe at email@example.com with your CV or résumé and a brief statement of interest. Please use “Organization and Management of Collections Instructor” as the subject line of your email. Applications are due by August 10, at 11:59 PM CST.