Friends of Libraries
To suggest additions, please email Anne Hamland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trustee Essentials: A Handbook for Wisconsin Public Library Trustees
Prepared by the Division for Libraries and Technology with the assistance of the Wisconsin Public Library Trustee Handbook Revision Task Force. Chapter 24 discusses Library Friends and Library Foundations.
Trustee Essentials Chapter 24: Library Friends and Library Foundations
- The role of Friends of the Library groups and library foundations
- How to develop a good relationship between the library board and support groups like the Friends of the Library or the library foundation
- Financial support from the Friends of the Library or the library
A division of the Wisconsin Library Association. Wisconsin Library Trustees & Friends Mission: “To foster improved abilities on the part of library trustees, Friends & advocates, in order to create better libraries and library services in Wisconsin.”
United For Libraries
A division of the American Library Association. “The mission of United for Libraries is to support citizens who govern, promote, advocate, and fundraise for all types of libraries.” “A Short History of United for Libraries.”
United for Libraries will continue to build on the work and success of both ALTA and FOLUSA by helping Trustees and Friends work together at the local, state, and national levels to effectively promote and advocate for libraries, encouraging the development of library Foundations, and engaging corporate supporters to unite and strengthen voices in support of libraries.
The Trustee Zone and United for Libraries provides training in webinars and guides for trustees.
- Short Takes for Trustees is a series of 10 short videos (8-10 minutes) that can be shown during trustee meetings to stimulate discussion about the important role that trustees play in the governance of their libraries. Subscription required.
- Trustee Academy is a series of online courses to help trustees become proficient in their roles on behalf of their library. Requires registration.
Friends Groups within WVLS
|Library||Friends founded in…|
|Colby Public Library||1991|
|Crandon Public Library||20+ years|
|MCPL||25+ years ago|
|Rhinelander District Library||May 2016|
|T.B. Scott Free Library||1999|
|Thorp Public Library||March 2017|
|Tomahawk Public Library||2007|
|Western Taylor County Public Library||about 2001|
|Demmer Memorial – Three Lakes||on hiatus|
|Abbotsford||No Friends Group|
|Antigo/ Langlade||No Friends Group|
|Granton Community Library||No Friends Group|
|Greenwood||No Friends Group|
|Jean M. Thomsen Memorial Library||No Friends Group|
|Loyal Public Library||No Friends Group|
|Minocqua Public Library||No Friends Group|
|Withee Public Library||No Friends Group|