Continuing Education Opportunities
To suggest additions, please email Anne Hamland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save the date for the 2017 WVLS Youth Services Workshop
Tuesday, December 12th, 2017 @ MCPL-Wausau in the Community Room, 9-3:30pm
“Flipping Your Space and Flashing Your NF”
“What Does It Mean to be Inclusive?”
“Wisconsin Coding Initiative Update”
Webinars are made possible through a partnership with Nicolet Federated Library System, and other library systems.
- Jul 12: 30 Minute Wednesday: Effective Managing Customer Behaviors @ 1pm, Webinar .5 CEUs
- Jul 27/28: WiLSWorld 2017, Workshop
- Aug 10: WVLS Cataloger’s Retreat @9:30-3pm, Workshop
- Aug 21-25: WI Trustee Training Week @12pm each day, Webinars 1CEU per webinar
- Aug 25: WVLS Youth Services Information Exchange (YSIE) @11-2pm, Antigo, Meeting No CEUs
- Sep 7: Tips for Building a Well-Rounded Collection for Youth @1pm, Webinar 1CEU
- Sep 19: ALA Conference At-a-Glance @1pm, Webinar no CEUs
- Sep 26: Database Overview @1pm, Webinar 1CEU
- Oct 4: Are You Being Served? Programming for Emerging Adults @1pm, Webinar 1CEU
- Oct 5: WVLS Director’s Retreat @ 8:30-3:30pm, Bunker Hills Golf Course, Wausau, Workshop 6.5 CEUs
- Oct 25: Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, Video, Video, Video! Or, Using Video to Market Library Services @1pm, Webinar 1CEU
- Oct 26: Data Informed Collection Development @10am, Webinar 1CEU
- Nov 3: Promoting Your Collection: Merchandising and More @10am, Webinar 1.5 CEUs
- Nov 14: A to Zion: WVLS Conference Scholarship Webinar @1-2:30pm, Webinar, no CEU NEW!
- Nov 15: Graphic Design for Libraries @1pm, Webinar 1CEU
- Dec 12: WVLS Annual Youth Services Workshop @ 9-3:30pm, MCPL-Wausau, Workshop 4.5 CEUs
Continuing Education Resources
Find WVLS webinar and workshop recordings, State/Web/National conferences, online learning resources, podcasts, and more!
Online Learning Resources
Webinars & Webinar Series
- Learning Express
- Microsoft 365 courses, web design, social media, how to create patron accounts.
- Web Junction
- BadgerLearn Pro
- ALCTS Association for Library Collections and Technical Services
“Because podcasts aren’t restricted by traditional broadcast regulations, a huge variety of programming is available, both by established media outlets and by individuals and organizations of all type.” -Nicole Hennig, American Libraries Magazine Mar/Apr 2017
Browse Podcast Directories
- Audiosear.ch is a free full-text search “and intelligence engine” for podcasts. Users can filter content by show, network, category, people, or topic and share clips on social media. The organization recently partnered with the Digital Public Library of America.
- BigListen.org from NPR
- iTunes Store has one of the largest directories of podcasts available but some podcasters don’t configure their shows for it.
- Library of Congress
- New York Public Library Podcast
- The Librarian Is In: NYPL
- Seattle Public Library
- Smithsonian Libraries
- Overcast: iOs Podcast Player
- Pocket Casts: Android Podcast App
- Postloudness.com aims to create a community of shows by women, people of color, and queer-identified hosts.
New Public Library Director Boot Camp Materials
Statewide New Public Library Director Boot Camp Aug 16-18, 2017
To share essential information that every Wisconsin public library director needs to know, and to facilitate networking among new directors and their seasoned peers.
- Find all resources from the 2017 on the WI New Public Library Director Boot Camp website.
State, Web, and National Conferences
- (CALL) Conference About Libraries & Literacy- February 9, 2017
- WEMTA Wisconsin Educational Media & Technolocy Association- March 19-21, 2017
- Power Up! Conference in Leadership for Youth Services– March 30-21, 2017.
- (WAPL) Wisconsin Association of Public Libraries– April 26-28, 2017
- (SSCS) Support Staff and Circulation Services (SSCS)– May 25, 2017 Fort Atkinson Club
- WISCNET Future Technologies- May 2017
- WiLS World– July 27-28, 2017
- Wisconsin Library Association (WLA)– October 17-20, 2017
- Back in Circulation- October 2017
- Wild Wisconsin Winter Web Conference– January 24-26, 2017 includes archives!
- Wisconsin Trustee Training Week– August 21-25 includes archives!
- Library 2.0 Mini Web-Conference
- School Library Journal Teen LIVE!: includes archives!
- (ALA) American Library Association– June 22-27, 2017, Chicago
- Library Information Technology Association (LITA)
- Computers in Libraries
- Public Library Association (PLA)
- (ARSL) Association for Rural and Small Libraries– September 7-9 St. George, Utah
- Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL)
- Harwood Public Innovators Lab for Libraries
- Other national conferences (?)
WVLS/NFLS Webinar Recordings & Past Year's CE Schedules
WVLS Workshop Recordings
WVLS Youth Services Workshop
Dec 8, 2016
- 2016 WVLS Youth Services Workshop Flyer and Agenda
- American Indian Collection Development for Children and Young Adults
- Stem, Steam, Stream, Oh My!
- School/Library Partnerships for Summer Learning & Reading Programs
Managing Your Digital Footprint Without Falling Prey to Cyber Sneakers
Sep, 20, 2016
A workshop for Library Professionals who design programs for Tweens/Teens/Parents. Attendees will learn more about online sharing and privacy and digital citizenship and social media safety.
WVLS Digital Lites: Continuing Education
With SELF-e and other self-managed self-publishing programs, libraries have become a channel for ebook distribution and discovery while creating a positive and supportive environment for local writers and readers.read more
The Wild Wisconsin Winter Web Conference (WWWWC) is an annual event featuring speakers on Small and Mighty Libraries, Tech Trends, Youth Services, Organizational Services, Library Leadership, and more!read more
While collections constantly grow, shelf space doesn’t. Join us for a discussion on how Better World Books solves weeding issues and reduces operational costs all while giving new life to your old books, empowering worldwide literacy, and supporting the environment.read more
Join us as we hear from four public library thought-leaders as they speak to how their libraries address non-fiction collection challenges by embracing Gale eBooks on GVRL…like a boss.read more