To suggest additions, please email Anne Hamland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your new job has the potential to be exciting, challenging, and rewarding, but it will also require effort. You have obtained this position because the elected officials of your municipality believe you have the ability and dedication to contribute positively to the management of the public library—one of the most accessible and beneficial institutions in your community. Your three-year term gives you an opportunity to help your friends and neighbors take advantage of a wide array of services from the comfort and convenience of their local library.
(WI DPI, Trustee Essentials 2016, Introduction)
Resources for Trustees
Please see the About WVLS page to find information on the topics listed below:
- WVLS Mission and Purpose
- Hours & Staff Contact Information
- Map of Public Library Systems in Wisconsin
- WVLS Board of Trustees
- WVLS Organizational Chart
- WVLS System Fact Sheets
- System Plan
- WVLS Statistics Booklets
- Membership in the Library System
Find information on the topics below:
- 2013 WVLS Member Library Participation Agreement
- 2013 WVLS Member County Participation Agreement
- MCPL-WVLS 2020 Resource Library Agreement
- County Library Board Plan of Service – Forthcoming
For specific agreements, please contact WVLS Director Marla Sepnafski at 715-261-7250 or by email at email@example.com.
WVLS Planning Documents
Division for Libraries & Technology (DLT) Resources
- Division for Libraries and Technology (DLT) website
- Administrative Essentials
- This handbook will provide you with some of the essential information that you need to succeed in your position as a public library director in Wisconsin.
- Administrative Essentials AE 17: Membership in the Library System DPI website
- Wisconsin Public Library Standards
- Wisconsin Libraries Blog – WI Libraries for Everyone
- Wisconsin Public Library Communications
Wisconsin Library Trustees & Friends
- A division of the Wisconsin Library Association.
- Wisconsin Library Trustees & Friends Mission: “To foster improved abilities on the part of library trustees, Friends & advocates, in order to create better libraries and library services in Wisconsin.”
- WLTF membership offers and opportunity to learn more about state library trends and services through publications from WLA, attendance at workshops and conferences, and a means of interaction with other trustees, advocates, and friends.
United For Libraries
- A division of the American Library Association.
- The United for Libraries Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations Mission: “The mission of United for Libraries is to support citizens who govern, promote, advocate, and fundraise for all types of libraries.”
- United for Libraries will continue to build on the work and success of both ALTA and FOLUSA by helping Trustees and Friends work together at the local, state, and national levels to effectively promote and advocate for libraries, encouraging the development of library Foundations, and engaging corporate supporters to unite and strengthen voices in support of libraries.
- The mission of United for Libraries is to support those who govern, promote, advocate, and fundraise for all types of libraries.
- “A Short History of United for Libraries”
- The Trustee Zone and United for Libraries provides training in webinars and guides for trustees.
- Courses to consider:
- Short Takes for Trustees is a series of 10 short videos (8-10 minutes) that can be shown during trustee meetings to stimulate discussion about the important role that trustees play in the governance of their libraries. Subscription required.
- Trustee Academy is a series of online courses to help trustees become proficient in their roles on behalf of their library. Requires registration.
- Courses to consider:
Library Law & Legal Information
- Chapter 43 of the Wisconsin Statutes
- Open Meetings Law – DPI website
- Wisconsin Open Meetings Law: A Compliance Guide – November 2015
- Wisconsin Public Records Law: Compliance Guide November 2015
- Wisconsin State Budget Process
- Wisconsin Legislator Briefing Book 2017-18
- Wisconsin 2017-2018 Legislative & Congressional Directory
Trustee Essentials: A Handbook for Wisconsin Public Library Trustees
Prepared by the Division for Libraries and Technology with the assistance of the Wisconsin Public Library Trustee Handbook Revision Task Force, Trustee Essentials: A Handbook for Wisconsin Public Library Trustees outlines the “exciting, challenging, and rewarding” duties of Library Trustees and provides basic information needed to serve a library community.
- Trustee Essentials – DPI Website
- Trustee Essentials: A Handbook for Wisconsin Public Library Trustees
- Trustee Essentials 1 – The Trustee Job Description
- Trustee Tale “The Trustees’ Job Description”
- Trustee Tale “Trustee Orientation: Building Effective Library Trustees”
- Table of Contents- Trustee Essentials: A Handbook for Wisconsin Public Library Trustees
- So you’re a trustee! How did that happen, and what is expected of you now?
Wisconsin Valley Library Service
300 N 1st Street
Wausau, WI 54403